Scrapbook It, LLC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for Scrapbookers!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
scrappintammy
Mod
Mod
scrappintammy

What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3 Empty
PostSubject: What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3   What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 7:39 am

I finished all the books from my last thread. I watched The Secret Life of Bees after I finished the book. I enjoyed the movie. It did have some differences in comparison to the book. I absolutely loved the book!

This week I picked up The Shack, Gone With the Wind, and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I was unsure about The Shack, but Terry has read it and recommended I go ahead and read it. So far I am enjoying it. I plan to read the Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter next. I needed something different and maybe unconventional. I'll let all of you know my review in the next week or so. I am not rushing to read Gone With the Wind. I want to take my time and enjoy it. I have watched the movie several times, but I have never read the book. I'm sure the book will be even better than the movie!

To prepare for my Sunday School lessons I have been reading and studying in the Gospels. The last two weeks my lessons have included fish. I taught Fisher's of Men and then I taught about the loaves and fishes. The kids have really enjoyed them and as usual I have learned something myself. This following Sunday I have plans for Mother's Day Crafts. I have already taken pictures of the kids and will be using those for their mother's gifts.

Happy reading (or listening) to all of you! study
Back to top Go down
Ronda
I got glue in my veins
I got glue in my veins

PostSubject: Re: What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3   What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 4:06 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what is The Secret Life of Bees about? I use to read a lot, but since we have moved here, I find that I don't go to the library or read as much as I use to read. I read Gone with the Wind I think last year. My kids got it for me for my birthday. I was a surprised at how much language was in it. I have read The Count of Monte Cristo because that too was a gift from my kids and I really enjoyed reading it. I may have to read it again soon. It is a long read and it is easy to get mixed up with who is who in it, but I did enjoy.

I am still working on The Lion/The Lamb and this week I am studying Matthew 5, the sermon on the mount for Sunday's Bible class. It contains so much that I need to learn and apply to my own life.
Back to top Go down
scrappintammy
Mod
Mod
scrappintammy

PostSubject: Re: What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3   What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 7:43 pm

The Secret Life of Bees is about a young girl, age 14, who has had to deal with the death of her mother at a very young age. The father is very unloving and bitter toward the girl. This is set during President Johnson's era and the Civil Rights Bill has just passed. The young girl and her nanny (an African American woman) end up on the run. They end up finding a place to stay, and the ladies who own the house are bee keepers. There is a little history rolled into the story, along with learning facts about bees. The girl's story line is very good. There is some language from the father and also from some people who are against the Civil Rights Bill. No sexual content to speak of. It is a coming of age book. Now I will say that they sort of put together their own way of worship. They border on a Catholic view mixed with some African American heritage.

I attempted to read The Count of Monte Cristo and it is a very long read. I was just not ready to dedicate myself to reading it, but plan to pick it back up one of these days.
Back to top Go down
Ronda
I got glue in my veins
I got glue in my veins

PostSubject: Re: What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3   What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 9:10 pm

That actually sounds like a book that I might enjoy. My favorite novels to read have been historical novels. Thanks Tammy for the info.

It took me over a month to read The Count of Monte Cristo. Usually I finish books more quickly than that, unless it is a Bible study type book. I have been known to read two books a day when I have been ill and have had them available. This week, when I got sick, I didn't read very much, I watched t.v. when I could stay awake.
Back to top Go down
scrappintammy
Mod
Mod
scrappintammy

PostSubject: Re: What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3   What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm so sorry you have been sick. I think your immune system has just taken a beating this year. Hope you feel better soon! flower
Back to top Go down
Samz
Mod
Mod

PostSubject: Re: What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3   What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:19 pm

I have been through several books the last week.
Forbitten: A Barrett Family Series Book-Suzanne Brockmann
Burning Lamp-Amanda Quick
The Dark Tide-Andrew Gross
House of Night, Burn-Kristen Cast
P is for Peril-Sue Grafton
All of them were good but still comparing to Hunger Games.....

I am startng Needful Things by Stephen King and then Freedom's Price, 2nd book in Barrett Family Series. However, that could change if a better book comes out tomorrow!! Can' wait till August 24th!!!
Back to top Go down
scrappintammy
Mod
Mod
scrappintammy

PostSubject: Re: What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3   What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Sam, I've been wondering where you were. I count on you for my reading inspiration! LOL

I finished The Shack. It was definitely different. I actually got bored about 2/3 into it and thought the author should have wrapped it up a bit quicker. It did make me think about many things.

I had planned to start Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, but I got Maze Runner and I'm loving it.
Back to top Go down
Samz
Mod
Mod

PostSubject: Re: What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3   What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 12:18 am

I read the Shack and I really liked it. I had trouble at the beginning of it, getting into it. Once he got to the cabin.....I couldn't stop.

Can't wait to hear what you think about the Maze Runner. I liked it. There's another book called Everlost. It's pretty good but a little younger then Maze Runner. Good story. Can't remember the authors name but he has another series out too and Alex liked it as well.

Looking forward to a couple other books coming out. The Second Life of Bree by Stephanie Meyer (I know I didn't spell that right), Cant wait to see where she goes with that. I'm looking forward to the YA book by Grisham. Also, I'm thinking about reading the Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan.

Have you ever read any Nora Roberts?

(ok the funniest thing just happened, Sadie just walked over and clicked my mouse button and walked away. She loves to get on my computer. Just thought I would share)

And I gotta tell you I keep seeing the Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and I think it's pulling me in......
Back to top Go down
scrappintammy
Mod
Mod
scrappintammy

PostSubject: Re: What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3   What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 12:53 pm

I am LOVING Maze Runner! I cannot wait for the 3rd Hunger Series Book. Oh, be warned that the series of books "The Girl Who..." has 2 books before Hornets Nest. The first one, The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo, has very graphic rape scenes and the 2nd book, The Girl Who Played With Fire also had very intimate, graphic scenes. I don't know how The Hornets nest will read. I did not read either, but my friend had checked them out at the library.

Everyone keep on reading...Until next time... study
Back to top Go down
Ronda
I got glue in my veins
I got glue in my veins

PostSubject: Re: What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3   What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 1:53 pm

Sounds like you all have been very busy reading, or listening, should I say. I am still working on The Lamb/The Lion. I am really close to finishing it, but have been trying to read the book of Revelation along with it and have decided to go back and read some of the chapters over again as I read the corresponding book of Revelation. So this morning I finished chapter fourteen again. I have read through chapter eighteen in the book itself, but had not made it that far in the scripture. Maybe I will finish it before the end of this month. I started it a few months ago, but got sidetracked with other things. I really want to finish it, before I move on to something else.
Back to top Go down
Ronda
I got glue in my veins
I got glue in my veins

PostSubject: Re: What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3   What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Hey I finished my book this morning! Yeah. It was a really good study and I am glad that I was able to finish it.

This morning, my daughter and I were discussing books. She is into reading again and enjoying it very much. Now that we have a boat, I need to get some books to carry with me to read, my hubby fishes, since I am not into fishing at all. I am trying to figure out a way to scrapbook on the boat. I haven't had any good ideas yet.
Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3   What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is everyone reading (or listening to) this week? #3
Page 1 of 1